January 23, 2012

Wool Yamm Ess Brrrrr Oh Zzzz

Dear sSs,
This is Bleeders insisting on using words. But to counter that violation I'll use my words to discuss the others (Sinners and Namers) rather than myself. I hope that'll make you happy. I know you are our god, and I'm trying to be obedient to the spirit of your instruction to avoid the abundance of words here at sinnersbleeders; but I'm a word-y guy.

Sinners and Namers have been reading a lot of William S. Burroughs this year. But not his fiction. He's famous for his novels, but they don't particularly care for them. Not that they are against them. They just find them tough slogging and little pleasure. They both read Junkie and liked it somewhat, and then tried reading some others like Cities of the Red Night and Naked Lunch, and decided they'd rather masturbate or smoke a cigarette than read those convoluded, cut up sentences. They're lazy readers. For example: they like Raymond Chandler in part because his sentences are short and don't have much punctuation.

Sinners and Namers are interested in Burroughs because of his non-fiction. They like him for the philosophy that comes out in his articles (Sinners thinks this one in particular is interesting), interviews, and non-fiction books like The Job, The Burroughs File, and The Yage Letters. Through his ideas he has become, for them, something of a weirdo Saint. Personally, I don't find him quite that impressive.

You, blog reader/skimmer, do not need to read Burroughs' words if you don't want to. If you'd prefer you can just look at pictures of the man. Look with some attention and see what looking offers. I've gone through google and bing images and pulled out my favourites. Maybe all you need to know is in the pictures.

Post by Bleeders.
I haven't provided sources for the photographs, 'cos it's just too much bother. Sorry. Google 'William S. Burroughs.'

1 comment:

s$s said...

One Burroughs quote:
"Someone has written on a piece of cardboard in the woodshed: 'How can I please myself when I have no self to please?'

"Sorry, young man, I think you are kidding yourself. As long as you talk to yourself, you have a self.

"The self is like a pimping blackmailing chauffeur who gets you from here to there on word lines."
-Burroughs in the article entitled 'Obeying Chogyam Trungpa'