December 7, 2008

3 Novels Over Christmas

Novel 1: Memories of My Melancholy Whores -Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Rough plot outline: an eighty-nine year old man decides to celebrate his ninetieth birthday by sleeping with a virgin. He talks to a brothel Madame who procures a poor, beautiful 14 year old for him.

I'm loving it so far.




Novel 2: My Present Age - Guy Vanderhaeghe

Rough plot outline: a recently divorced man living illegitimately on welfare gets into a feud with his neighbour.

I love Guy Vanderhaeghe when he's not writing historical fiction.







Novel 3 was going to be Choke by Chuck Palahniuk, but after fifty pages I was rolling my eyes so hard that I decided to write off Palahniuk completely. It was not interesting in any way. The worst kind of book; so bad it taints all other books that touch it. People have been recommending Palahniuk to me for years, and now I'm losing respect for all those people.

From now on if someone compares an author to Charles Bukowski I'm just going to run away.

No comments: