June 3, 2009

Montreal

I visited Pierre Trudeau's nearly-anonymous, unassuming grave in the tiny Quebec village of Saint-Rémi with Leah this winter. I'm not even a full-fledged Trudeau enthusiast, but I like his style. A lot.

Last year I turned a corner and ran into Wilensky's, a cafe that features prominently in one of my favourite novels, Mordecai Richler's The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz.

Leah and I are moving to a new area of Montreal in September. Maybe Mile End, the same neighbourhood as Willensky's. It's a beautiful part of town.
Even in winter.

Also,

I read that D.H. Lawrence is buried somewhere in rural New Mexico. I like that a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate being in on plans, with everyone else too. Wilensky's will probably be cool...there's probably a bell over the door. I also feel like it may be closed ... and become something else soon. TEll me when you guys get there.

s$s said...

I didn't go inside Willensky's, 'cos I thought that might be pushing it. It should remain in the story a little.