September 27, 2008

Dear Friends


Well, I'll just throw this one out there.

Sokurov's Mother and Son is one of the best movies I've seen in my life, and ever since watching it half a year ago I've been thinking about non-sexual physical affection. Cries & Whispers, my favourite movie, explores this concept as well.

Yesterday in class my professor showed us some slides from a fascinating book called Dear Friends: American Photographs of Men Together, 1840-1914. It's a book of photographs of men in affectionate poses, in a time where men didn't have the kind of self-consciousness about sexual identity that we carry around with us today.

This book fascinated me. Read more here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my oh my oh my. beautiful. I want this book.

I also agree, in total, that Mother and Son is fabulous - one of the best, the best, gripping, unforgettable.

Jon Coutts said...

yeah i think you've got something there.