March 24, 2009

David Fennario


Blue Mondays. The book had an ugly old cover, the author was from my neighborhood -Pointe St. Charles, and it was cheap. I bought it. Outside the building the ubiquitous Guy-Smoking-A-Cigarette, standing like a sentry, looked at the book as I passed and said, "I hope you like it."
"You've read it?" I asked.
"I used to play video games in the author's apartment."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah," the sentry told me. "David Fennario. He'd be like, 'what the hell is this you're playing!? Oh, wait -that was interesting. How'd you do that?"
I started reading on the Metro home, Leah at my side listening in on people's conversations. It was pretty good. Really good.
A lot of my enjoyment is coming from the fact that the story is set in places I go every day; my street sometimes.
But it's really a good book. About an Anglo in Pointe St. Charles who can't speak French and is looking for work. Yeah.
Blue Mondays.

I'll post my film here shortly. shortly shortly.

No comments: