September 8, 2008

Claire Denis


Claire Denis. You've seen her name before. She was assistant director for film-makers like Jim Jarmusch, Jacques Rivette, Wim Wenders, and Dusan Makajev. She's also directed some minor hits like Chocolat (not the one with Juliette Binoche), and Beau Travail.

Well, I had never seen one of her films until yesterday.

Last night I watched her film Trouble Every Day (starring Vincent Gallo, with a soundtrack by The Tindersticks).

It was really, really well made. Ridiculously impressive. But it was also the most disturbing film I have ever seen. More so than even Cries & Whispers. Horrible, horrible imagery. Ugh. I can't begin to describe it. It involved sex and cannibalism.

Yes really.

But she's a talented director. There's no way around it.

Anyways. If you're interested in watching Trouble Every Day -you can't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: